Fort Concho is a National Historic Landmark in San Angelo, Texas, and is owned and operated by that city.
It was established as a United States Army post in 1867, along the Concho River. Until its deactivation in June of 1889, it mainly served to protect frontier settlers and trade routes.
The land became privately owned, but increasing interest in the fort's preservation in the early 20th century led to donations of part of the property to the city, and subsequent purchases of other portions. It was registered as a National Historic Landmark in 1961.
The landmark today is comprised of most of the original fort, and contains 23 main structures, mostly original or restored, but some reconstructions. These structures include a Headquarters, Officers' Quarters, Soldiers' Barracks, and the Post Hospital.
The main attraction for fort visitors today is the Fort Concho Museum, which has a collection of over 35,000 artifacts. A yearly Christmas festival is also held at the fort called "Christmas at Old Fort Concho".